Friday, October 1, 2010

My worst fear...

So it is October and I have begun my annual Horror movie marathon.

I am at work so I am watching The Haunting. Lily Taylor, Liam Neeson, Owen Wilson , Catherine Zeta-Jones.

I have also built the Family Friendly Frights wall at work. The Spotlight wall. That way when parents come in looking for movies for their families...I have less work to do.

But I remember sleep overs at Helen's house when I was young., 10 maybe? And we watched The Mummy, The Mummy's Hand, Curse of the Mummy. I remember running upstairs and finding Helen in her bed with a book and the light on, ready for company from 3 freaked out 3rd graders. The next time I remember movies that scared me was when I stayed up all night with my little black and white TV turned on with the volume so low I had to be about a foot from it. I watched Frankenstein, The Wolfman, and Bride of Frankenstein. An amazing and scary triple feature. There was the night my sister and I were in my bedroom watching the TV (same one, I watched for years, small white case, black and white that I got from my Grandma Jake, along with her records and her costume jewelry when she died.) This time we had to hold the rabbit ears to get a signal. The movie was Trilogy of Terror. It may be the scariest movie I have ever seen. I remember my sister kept letting go of the rabbit ears when it got too scary. We both screamed and screamed. My mom was in the front room (in this particular house it was way at the other end of the house and she couldn't hear us). That night my sister and I spent the night in her bed, away from my TV. My sister and I never did that other than on Christmas eve. We didn't get along that well. I wonder if she remembers this?

When I was in high school a bunch of us went to see a revival of The Exorcist. We all held hands and I know that the boys were as freaked out as we were. This was the beginning of my love of religious horror movies. I later read The Omen Books, lights on for nights at a time just so I could sleep in my small bright yellow basement bedroom. When I got around to the movies, my TV was bigger and my boyfriend wouldn't watch them with me because his mom had told him they were anti-Catholic. And being I was a lapsed Catholic, even then, I let it go.

So I am going to watch my horror movies. And enjoy all the ghosts, vampires, zombies, and frights...And remember that that is what gets me through October.

2 comments:

  1. Zoe, You are a brave woman...I can't watch horror movies...I still remember a scene from a t.v. movie that was playing when I was a little girl....I think it was called "Buried Alive" or something like that...I remember this woman being buried (Yes, alive.) and her hand sticking up out of the ground...Not for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Twilight Zone always used to freak me out. Not the same as a late night movie, but it kept me from wanting to go to my bedroom alone, down at the end of a narrow, dark hallway.

    ReplyDelete